Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Oh Canada...An Amazing Race

When I was younger, I had no interest in travel that didn’t involve Caribbean beaches, heat and sun. Touring around Canada, was out of the question. In my opinion, it would not have been a vacation. As I matured, I developed a greater appreciation of our fabulous country and am making an effort to see more of it.

I did not plan to watch "The Amazing Race Canada". After all, the teams would be racing around Canada. How interesting could that be? There'd be no consumption of weird animal innards or bug larva. There'd be no transporting horse manure through the streets for use in the construction of straw huts. There'd be no terrifying death leaps off giant buildings. Well, perhaps there would be. It remains to be seen. So, I missed the first episode.

When I discovered that teams would be in Vancouver for the second show, I thought I might want to watch to see familiar landmarks. Then I looked for repeats of the first episode. After all, it's kind of important to know the cast of characters isn't it? In true Canuk t.v. fashion, episode one, has been available over and over and over ad infinitum.

Then there's the website http://www.ctv.ca/theamazingracecanada.
 
After viewing the second programme, I was hooked. The format closely followed the American version complete with music and a cast that included gay cowboys, cutesy sisters, an "older" celebrity couple, someone with an illness, newlyweds and young man with prosthetic limbs who had served in the military. Nonetheless, the show had a true north strong and free feel to it.

As I thought about potential future content, I became excited, not for the programme or the participants, but rather to see more of Canada. We live in a huge country with diversity in landscape, language and people. What other country can boast such a variety of terrain...mountains, lakes, forests, rivers and prairies and beauty within their borders? What other country has such diversity of cultures, festivals and celebrations? How different are the Maritimes from the Prairies, the Rockies and the Territories...night and day.

I was excited for this week's programme. Racers were in the Canadian NWT and the Yukon. It did not disappoint. I'm not a fan of the cold, however, I found it to be spectacularly scenic and different. It makes me want to travel there for a visit. I think I'll add it to my bucket list.

*Note...I have been to the Yukon by train from Alaska...another world. I loved it.

Next week teams travel to Regina. I haven't been there and look forward to seeing more of it in the Amazing Race Canada.

 As much as I admire the strength, courage and stamina of all the teams, I'm cheering for the "older couple" Joanne and Hal. After all, how many of us grew up watching their lifestyle tips? The Body Break commercials have become part of Canada's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment