Saturday, May 4, 2013

Jokers I Wish I Knew

I'm a fairly frequent contributer to TripAdvisor. I write a review when I'm surprised, impressed or annoyed by a place. In other words, when the mood strikes, or something about a restaurant or hotel motivates me. I try to be honest. After all, I too use TripAdvisor for helpful hints. I've been told that sometimes my reviews are humorous. ("It's Time...Implode!" was the title of my review of the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas)

There was a news item recently about a location in Scotland which received rave reviews on TripAdvisor. The more I learned about the review, the funnier I found it. I suppose I wouldn't have been as amused had I actually attempted to book and stay at this location. It boasted marble floors, crystal chandeliers, a fabulous staff, a wonderful spa and many amenities. It even made it into the top 100 recommended hotels for Glasgow.

An employee of the "hotel" apparently noticed and contacted TripAdvisor to remove their location from the site. It was not as it appeared. In fact, the Bellgrove Hotel was a men's shelter.

The following is one of the many newspaper articles about this hoax.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2314546/Jokers-Glasgow-hostel-homeless-5-star-reviews-TripAdvisor-sending-countrys-100.html

All I can say is that I wish I knew the people who were the participants in this joke.  I think they'd be a lot of fun at a party.


No comments:

Post a Comment