Monday, December 5, 2011

Another World

No, that's not a soap opera title. I have decided it's a place where thankfully, no people live that I know. It is a fantasyland in which designers, decorators, chefs, stylists and their clientele seem to exist.

Here's the sort of thing to which I'm referring. I recently attended a fund raising workshop wherein a group of us were taught how to decorate the perfect tree and fireplace mantel. I knew I was out of my element the minute I saw freshly coiffed women pull up in the parking lot with brand new SUVs, wearing designer clothing and looking as if they had just stepped out of the pages of Vogue magazine. We sat together in a small room and as one of the instructors spoke. He included a line that went something like this, "I know that most of you live in large century homes." As I shrunk into my chair, I looked around and saw people nod approvingly. Was this a prerequisite for attending this workshop? Did I deign to show up at a function where I didn't belong and wasn't expected? I listened intently, had an enjoyable time and by the end of the 3 hours, I had learned how to do this. Gorgeous.








I  usually enjoy viewing  Christmas themed fashion, decorating and  "helpful hint" shows. It does my imagination good and makes me dream of possibilities.

I can't fully wrap my head around everything that I see in magazines, in shops and on tv, particularly at this time of year. For example, I have often heard "This would make a wonderful hostess gift," after some decorator shows treasures and finds from a designer store...knick knacks and other assorted items that I can't imagine anyone needing or wanting in their house. How many functions do people actually attend where they feel the need to bring some kind of unique and expensive "hostess gift"? What ever happened to taking a bottle of wine or a box of chocolates or cookies?

Right now, I'll go back to reality....my reality. I'm fairly certain that my family room would make a decorator cringe. I however, quite like living in my fun, non designer world and I don't need to change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment