Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Masses of Monarchs

"Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."   Nathaniel Hawthorne

Today, I went to the lake with a friend. We took some photos. I know monarch butterflies like milkweed, but was really surprised to see so many butterflies on fragrant flowers. I experimented with some editing effects. How about ye olde fashioned black and white? Same yellow flowers.
And now for the purple posie population of butterflies. I actually think this is some variety of late blooming lilac but I can't be sure. They were very fragrant and monarchs are known to use lilacs as a food source.
 I've heard it said that butterflies are considered good luck in Germany. If this is the case, I certainly saw my share of lucky "schmetterling" today. Or perhaps, the luck is in the opportunity to view so many of these lovely flitting and floating creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment